Some busy weeekends and evenings in the run-up to Billing

I’ve been doing some more work in preparation for going to the Land Rover Fest at Billing — it’s good to have a deadline to work to, although it can be a bit stressful at times.

With the help of some expert metalworkers, I got the remaining metalwork fabricated, and took it to Acrow in Saffron Walden for galvanizing.

Galvanized metalwork

Galvanized metalwork

I’ve primed and painted all the galvanized work, for further protection and to make it match the metalwork already on the vehicle.

I got an aluminium frame for the new wiring hub welded by Mackay’s small works department.

The new wiring frame, with connectors ready to go in

The new wiring frame, with connectors ready to go in

I glued all the connectors into the frame, and left that to set.

Wiring connectors in the frame

Wiring connectors in the frame

They are “Multi-connector, 8-way” from Vehicle Wiring Products.

Alongside the wiring work, I continued adding seats and seatbelts in the rear.

Rear interior, with all seats fitted

Rear interior, with all seats fitted

The front-most nearside bench seat is easily removeable (and the seatbelts come with it) so it can also be mounted on the roofrack or the winch cover (for example, for filming from the vehicle).

The roofrack, repaired from rust damage

The roofrack, repaired from rust damage

The roofrack is now all assembled, the front part being from the original roofrack (with quite a few repairs) and the rear part a modified new one.

A bracket on the roof-rack

A bracket on the roof-rack

Brackets with weldnuts underneath, like this, are for mounting the moveable seat and various other optional fitments. Since taking the photo, I’ve painted it with black Hammerite. Some time I’ll get round to drilling drainage holes in the bits of plate that are surrounded by mesh, to stop rain pooling on them.

The winch bumper, now galvanized and painted, is back in place, ready for the winch (which is in pieces for overhaul at Makespace, of which I’m a member).

The winch bumper, re-installed

The winch bumper, re-installed

The side steps came from a scrapped Discovery, and I had them modified to make them able to swing up to trap the doors for security (adding a motor and control for this will be a later project). As with the other parts, I galvanized and painted them.

A side step, galvanized

A side step, galvanized

A side step, with non-ferrous metals primer

A side step, with non-ferrous metals primer

The old wiring hub was a mess.

The old rats' nest of wires

The old rats’ nest of wires

I meant the new one to be tidier, but somehow it didn’t work out that way:

The new wiring hub

The new wiring hub

Installed, it looks a bit better:

The new wiring hub, in place in the middle of the dashboard

The new wiring hub, in place in the middle of the dashboard

The back of the fusebox held all of the old wiring directly; now it’s much simpler.

The back of the fusebox

The back of the fusebox

Connecting it up was reasonably straightforward, with just a few bugs showing up.

The cables, plugged into the hub

The cables, plugged into the hub

I’ve also fitted the side steps, but it was getting a bit dark to get a good photo.

Next stages: re-assemble and re-fit the winch (this evening, I hope); fix a few bugs in the wiring; re-connect the ceiling switch panel. I’d like to get the steering guard back on before I do the off-road course at Billing, too. I suspect I’ll end up taking it there in the back, and attaching it while I’m there.

Advertisements

Post a Comment

Required fields are marked *

*
*

%d bloggers like this: