First move under own power

We’ve made good progress on the Land Rover stretching project in the last week or so. I’ve been doing wiring and the remaining bits of bodywork, and my friendly expert has been doing the transmission and brakes and working out how to fit the exhaust together.

No room for the wiring

No room for the wiring

The connector blocks on the back of the fusebox turned out to take more space than I had allowed for (I was expecting 8 of them, but it grew to 22). (Sorry about the poor focus in the photo.)

Cutting the scuttle

Cutting the scuttle

To work round this, I took the scuttle (lower part of the dashboard) out, and cut out its central section. There’s still a bulging collection of connectors, but at least it does assemble properly. This is just an interim measure; one of the first things I’ll do after getting the vehicle back on the road will be to make up a tidy connector system, with connector blocks glued together into neat rows in slots in a metal plate deep in the scuttle.

Installing the brakes

Installing the brakes

Meanwhile, my mechanic friend (and barn-owner) connected up the brakes.

First venture out of the barn

First venture out of the barn

After this, it was time to start the engine, and to drive out into the yard for a jetwash in preparation for painting.

Roof painted white

Roof painted white

I painted the roof first, as that’s a blocker for getting the roofrack on. (The number plate is on the roofrack, because there’s normally a winch on the bumper, but for now there’s a plain bumper while I’m modifying the winch bumper and planning to overhaul the winch.)

The interior, partly done

The interior, partly done

Here’s what the inside currently looks like. I’ve bought red, green, and blue harness belts for the central seats, and will line the ceiling and windowless parts of the walls with carpety stuff for insulation to reduce noise and condensation; and will put rubber matting on the floor, so it won’t be quite as shiny with chequerplate as it looks here. Also, I’ve got the go-ahead from the insurers to fit further bench seats, so eventually there’ll be a 3-person bench and a 2-person bench on each side.

Next steps (tomorrow): fit the exhaust and the seatbelts, and move the back edge of the rear floor forwards a little so the back door can close; then (probably Saturday, which looks like better paint-drying weather) paint the sides, front and back red. I’m really looking forward to seeing the vehicle painted so that it doesn’t look so patched-together!

Advertisements

3 Comments

  1. Posted 2013/04/18 at 6:10 PM | Permalink

    Congratulations! Must be a great feeling to have it finally move under its own power.

    • Posted 2013/04/21 at 8:30 PM | Permalink

      Definitely! The first real drive out on the road will be interesting… I was expecting to head for the MOT tomorrow, but have got delayed by various things including having ordered the wrong part for the exhaust (the 110 to 130 extension pipes are different for 300tDI and 200tDI, and I got the cheaper of the two, as they looked identical on the web). Next post coming soon…

      • Posted 2013/04/22 at 5:45 PM | Permalink

        LOL, I made a similar mistake when ordering a new front section for my wifes 109, I managed to write the petrol part number down instead of the diesel – if you’ve seen that page in the parts manual you’ll know how easy it is to make that mistake as there are literally dozens of different pipes to choose from that have been fitted over the years to these trucks.


Post a Comment

Required fields are marked *

*
*

%d bloggers like this: