Assorted tasks in progress

Over the weekend, we made progress on a variety of fronts. I did some more of the internal bodywork; there’s not much left to do on that now (of course, I may be proved wrong as I do it).

Interior, painted white

Interior, painted white

I got most of the interior painting done: white paint, to match the panels from the original vehicle and the spare parts donor vehicle. I’ll try to match the ceiling lining too, but that’ll come after getting the vehicle on the road.

Nearside, in red and green

Nearside, in red and green

We moved the vehicle, using a tractor, to make way for concreting the barn floor. This also gave me a lot more room to work on the nearside. Here it is with the original paint colours, showing which parts came from which vehicle. The panels with the large windows at the rear of the side aren’t from the original (red) vehicle; I bought them on eBay. All the other panels are from the original or the spare parts vehicles.

To get the project moving, I’ll make temporary panels for the triangles in front of the second row doors, and adapt the doors to the appropriate shape later.

I now have some perforated aluminium, glass fibre matting, and resin, to start building the extended rear wheelarch eyebrows.

By the time I took this picture, my mechanic friend had connected up the radiator and various other engine systems (hence the crawler blanket under the gearbox area). Fuel and brakes are still to come (the brake hydraulics can’t be filled until the third axle is fitted, anyway) and I’ll have to connect up some more of the main wiring to get through from the ignition switch to the engine; but it’s not far off being independently mobile now.

Power board

Power board for battery compartment

I started to make up an electrical panel to go into the battery compartment; I didn’t complete this, as I had to get longer bolts to make the connections to. The device at the top is a Schottky rectifier (to protect against back current in case of alternator faults), and the two blue circuit boards are 100A current measuring devices; their output will go to an Arduino which will monitor various circuits. The alternator side of the circuit will feed into the battery side of the isolator, and the power output to the rest of the vehicle will come from the other side of the isolator (which will connect between the two blue boards).

Assorted tools

Assorted tools

At this stage, more sophisticated tools, such as Emacs’ org mode, come into play, along with the angle grinder, jigsaw, scissors etc. I use org-mode quite a lot now, both for lists of things to do, and for keeping the wiring connection list.

Brass block for power tap

Brass block for power tap

Finally, I drilled some 8mm holes in a brass block (a piece of 1-inch square bar), and cut the block down the middle. This is meant to clamp around an 8mm diameter power cable that runs from the battery compartment to the back of the vehicle, letting me tap off one or two other 8mm cables, or smaller cables with an M8 ring terminal on one of the bolts that will clamp the block around the cable.

I was planning to do some more work on it in the evenings of this week, but the weather’s turned too cold. Next week looks more promising.

Advertisements

2 Comments

  1. Posted 2013/02/21 at 8:57 AM | Permalink

    More good progress. It looks fab šŸ™‚

    Wish I had a concrete floor to work on, would make live so much easier. One of the jobs I hope to get done this year if we get some decent weather and some spare time.

  2. Posted 2013/03/11 at 12:31 PM | Permalink

    Yes, the concrete floor is making quite a difference.

    I’ve just updated this post to add a missing picture, that the text already referred to.


Post a Comment

Required fields are marked *

*
*

%d bloggers like this: