Middle section welding completed

On Saturday, we got the rest of the steelwork for the middle section welded, which means there’s now quite a bit that I can do unassisted, and will probably use up some days of annual leave this week to get on with that (it may be windy, but at least it won’t be as cold).

Bringing the B2 pillar forward

Bringing the B2 pillar forward

Here’s some of the preparation for the welding, and its results. First I cut away more of the front of the original rear tub (now forming part of the deep B pillar), so that we can fit the front doors from the spare parts vehicle as second row doors. After that, it was ready for welding the middle of each B2 pillar (as I’m calling the back of the combined B pillar) to the capping at the back of the second bulkhead (forgot to photograph that stage, sorry). We repaired the bottom of each B2 pillar, and welded it to a footing plate that bolts to the chassis.

Joining roofs

Joining roofs. I resisted any temptation to use thatching.

Then, I went up on the roof, squeezed mastic in, and put in the first batch of rivets. (There might be more later.) The original roof (with the ribs, on the left in the picture) is to the front, the one from the green vehicle I bought for parts to the rear. They overlap for strength, with the `gap’ facing away from the airstream and driven rain. Not that it’s a real gap; it’s well sealed with mastic, and will be faired in with bodyfiller so there’s no edge to it.

A door in need of trimming

A door in need of trimming

Then, I tried closing the second-row doors, and found they needed to have notches cut to fit around the seat frame. I must have measured lower down between the doors when measuring for the seat frame; or perhaps the original second-row ones might be thinner.

Old capping removed

Side panels, with old capping removed

Once the doors were closing properly, the front of the rear bodywork from the spare parts vehicle could be test-fitted and cut for length. For strength, a length of galvanized capping will overlap the join. Here, I’ve just cleaned up the tops ready to take the capping.

New capping overlapping the join

New capping overlapping the join in the bodywork

Here, the capping has been welded on at both ends.

New base for the C pillars

New base for the C pillars

The C pillars have new base sections, made from box section steel and welded into place, with their footings bolted onto those useful meccano-like flanges I had built into the chassis. It’s not anywhere near as close to the tyre as it looks in this photo!

Middle section, with capping joined

Middle section, with capping joined

Now the middle section looks like this from the outside.

Inside view, with capping joined

Inside view, with capping joined

Here’s the view from the inside.

The next stages will be cutting the remaining bodywork panels to size, and fitting them, and smoothing some of the joins over with a little filler. Then there are various gaps to fill in (that can’t be seen readily from the outside) and a few bits of reinforcement over joins.

A fiddly part I’m not yet sure of is how to make a long straight midsection for the rear wheelarch eyebrows; I don’t want the V-shaped dip in the middle (using 2/3 of each of two originals) that many 6-wheel Land Rovers have. For a start, I don’t think it looks neat, and anyway I might want to experiment with being an improvized half-track for off-road use, perhaps with extended snowchains going round the pairs of wheels! To start with, I’ll try GRP on an aluminium base.

After that, wiring can go in, and engine parts such as the radiator can be connected up. This is definitely looking much closer to completion!

Advertisements

2 Comments

  1. Posted 2013/01/29 at 12:15 PM | Permalink

    Wow, impressive stuff and good progress 🙂


Post a Comment

Required fields are marked *

*
*

%d bloggers like this: