Recent progress

“Project 170” has been ticking over for a couple of weeks, as my co-conspirator has had some more urgent projects on.

I’ve been making the new wiring hub, nominally the `fusebox’ but not that many of the wires there actually go via fuses; many simply come in on one 8-core cable and go out on one or more other 8-core cables.

A modified Land Rover fusebox panel

The wiring hub, almost complete

I could probably have made it bit more `structured’ but I don’t think that would have made much difference. In fact it’s not too badly tangled; wires running between the same two connectors generally run together. The thinner wires, not yet wrapped into the bundles, will go to a 50-pin D-sub connector which will connect to a ribbon cable running up to a box containing an Arduino Mega, which will monitor many things and control a few.

The remaining pieces to go into the hub are the incoming wires from the battery and alternator, which will go via current-measuring devices (connected to the Arduino); and the indicator flasher and the wires for the hazard light switch, which I didn’t write down as I undid the original wiring. I’ll soon be taking apart the dashboard of the green Land Rover, and will learn how to do the hazards from that.

I’ve also done a bit of preparation on the green Land Rover: I’ve removed the seats, and undone all the bolts holding the roof, on except for one at each corner to stop the roof blowing away.

The next planned stages are taking apart the green Land Rover dashboard and console, and cleaning most components (particularly engine, gearboxes, bulkhead, wings and axles) with a hot jet-washer.

After that, the actual rebuild can begin.

For the record, I took a picture of the rustiest part of the old chassis that I could find.

The worst of the rust

The worst of the rust

Advertisements

Post a Comment

Required fields are marked *

*
*

%d bloggers like this: