A fiddly stage

The rear tub, looking bare

The rear tub, looking bare

Today I got back to the Land-Rover work, and started by removing various extra equipment I had added in the rear tub. The result looks pleasingly more like a blank slate for rebuilding, although there are quite a lot of drilled holes that will no longer be needed. Unfortunately, when I removed the floor lining, I found there was some electrolytic corrosion around the points where the aluminium floor meets the steel floor supports. I’ll probably replace the entire floor, as I’ll want it to have some access hatches for underfloor equipment anyway, and it would be fiddly to add those as well as replacing patches of the floor.

Removed parts, in storage

A recognizably Land-Roverish collection of parts

The collection of removed parts is now quite substantial.

Old engine-bay wiring

Old engine-bay wiring, freed from its constraining conduits

Old dashboard wiring

Complex and many-layered old dashboard wiring

I then set to work stripping out the old wiring `system’, which had grown in many stages. I’m starting afresh with wiring for the new vehicle, so the lot can come out, apart from a few edge bits such as the Eberspacher loom.

Some labelling on the chassis

Marking out positions on the chassis

I took a break from the fiddly stuff to take some measurements of bodywork, and mark the rear tub for where it will be cut, and the chassis for roughly where things will fit, thus getting my first specific figure for how long the `infill’ section will be. I’ll cut the rear tub just behind where the back bulkhead capping fairs in, which is 12.5″ from the front of it: this will go with the `cab’ section, as it includes the piece the front seats lean back against. It’ll also provide a bit of extra footwell for the second row of seats, as I noticed, when sitting in that row in the green station wagon, that that area is quite cramped in the standard layout.

Having marked out the fixed lengths from the front and the back, I could measure the extra bit of rear loadspace that we’ll have to construct. There’s 32″ of extra lower bodywork, which we’ll put together from the front door skins and parts of the rear tub of the green donor vehicle, and 51″ of extra upper panels; I had been expecting to use the section of the original side panels that contained the portholes I had added (as this is a good visual signature for recognizing it as the original vehicle, extended) but it looks like I’ll be using the long window sections of them instead.

An almost wireless engine bay

The engine bay, almost wireless

The dashboard binnacle mounting, partly stripped

The dashboard binnacle mounting, partly stripped

I didn’t get as far as I would have liked with removing the wiring, particularly with the wiring behind the dashboard. Some of it will have to wait until I’ve taken the rest of the dashboard area apart.

Advertisements

Post a Comment

Required fields are marked *

*
*

%d bloggers like this: