My postillion has been struck by lightning

My landline phone at home became crackly recently, then stopped working altogether.  I moved a phone to the original Eircom-provided socket, and found that worked OK and it was just my extension wiring that had gone dead.  So I opened up the connection box, and found one of the contacts was a little corroded.  Then I looked on the back of the PCB that the connectors are on, and found blackened areas around component pins that had had the solder blasted clean off them. I presume it must have been hit by lightning.  If I do get a modem, I’ll remember to disconnect it, along with the mains to the computer, when not using it.  (I’m in a rural location, with long overhead wires for power and phone, so probably more vulnerable to lightning than a location with underground wiring.)

Advertisements

Post a Comment

Required fields are marked *

*
*

%d bloggers like this: